Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I Cannot Remain Lonely

October 7, 2010, Tucson, AZ    
"Do you sometimes feel that God is far away from you? That He doesn't know what you're going through or worse, doesn't care? Scripture assures us that God is close, very close, and that He knows all my thoughts, feelings, desires, plans, fears, joys, temptations, choices, sorrows.

" For example, In Psalm 139 we find the psalmist telling God that, 'Before a word is on my tongue, you know it...You formed me in my mother's womb...Your eyes foresaw all my actions..'   And again in Hebrews 4, 'Everything is naked and exposed to Him to whom we must render an account.'  St Augustine acknowledges the intimacy he has with God in my places in his 'Confessions.'     

   "Like Augustine, my prayer too can become an intimate dialogue of togetherness with God. If I can't find words,  I can rest in the knowledge of Christ with me and simply say, 'Lord, you see my feelings. Thank you for caring, for helping, for being so close even if I don't see you. '  It is much easier to deal with temptation and avoid sin if I am aware that God sees, that He is always watching me and waiting to help, like a vigilant parent or friend.

   "If His gaze feels like a threat to me, it is a sign that either I need to repent of my desires or I need  to alter my image of Jesus from that of an ill-tempered policeman to that of the merciful father described in Luke 15. When I remain aware of God's presence during the day, both within me and around me, I cannot remain lonely. It is also easier to seek and receive His guidance in my decisions and temptations that come up in the course of a day. He gives me courage and strength to face my challenges and responsibilities. So, by being aware of the reality of God Present to Me, I can live securely and happily as small children do when their parents are close by. 

   "To this end, may I suggest that you develop the habit of reminding yourself during the day, 'The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall lack' (Ps. 23) or 'The Father knows all that I need.' (Mt 6:32) or a similar short Scripture. Additionally, at the beginning of every period of prayer as well as at the start of your other activities---work, study, leisure, driving the car, going to bed or getting up, attending a party or a meeting etc.---pause for a moment and acknowledge the loving gaze of your Father or Jesus upon you, wanting to be with you, to talk with you and help you in the activity you are about to begin. Tell Him what you are feeling and what you need. Ask Him what He is feeling and what you can do for Him or what He wants for you. Imagine our Father renewing your baptism, like that of Jesus in the Jordan or the apostles at Pentecost. In the way, when you die and see the face of Christ, you will already be well acquainted!"


     

No comments:

Post a Comment