Sunday, September 7, 2014

Reaching for Jesus' Heart

June 2, 1989
Feast of Sacred Heart and the 16th Anniversary of my ordination
Petersham, MA


"My heart is reaching for Jesus' heart. I need to keep reminding myself that our souls, His and mine, are already touching. I feel a need to lay my head on His chest, like John, because that's where God's faithful, compassionate love meets us and where our human love is returned perfectly to God...

"In thinking about this, I realized with joy that in and with Jesus' heart, I can give perfect love to God, even when I feel nothing. So, while I 'fill up what is lacking in His sufferings for the sake of His Body, the Church' by taking up my Cross everyday, Jesus Himself fills up what is lacking in my sufferings, in my ardor, in my sacrifices.  He supplies and gives me to appropriate as my own, His life, His virtue, His love! He has 'become my justice and holiness, my wisdom and reconciliation.'

"As I experienced more of this Great Exchange during prayer, my heart felt like it would burst with the love transfused from His heart...Throughout my prayer was undulating and climbing a Gregorian chant of love and praise which I didn't feel was a distraction but rather a form of praise...How can I communicate this transfused Love more effectively to others, especially my students at Prep? How can I share this Love more often with the Lord? In reading Abp Sheen's book on the daily Holy Hour and Celibacy, I was touched by his practice of short, frequent visits to the Blessed Sacrament throughout the course of the day. He compares it to the tenderness, solicitude and delicacy of spouses who work at their relationship...I need to do more of this. With Him, as with others, I can tend to be insensitive and neglectful..."

No comments:

Post a Comment