Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Bird Sings

May 22, 1979
   "I've been getting signals again that I should write, especially now when I'm so limited in my means of expression since I'm living in Korea & still struggling to master the language. I want to labor to express, somehow, what is happening in my soul. but, in my perfectionism, I want to avoid giving finite and inadequate expression to what feels infinite and eternal in me. I'm too proud to incarnate; too afraid to reveal my poverty and myself.
    "But what should I write and for who? Perhaps I should at least keep a diary. 'The bird sings', Steinhaus reminds me. I don't write so others may like it or approve of me. I write because I'm full of something in need of expression, like the bird.
     "Help me, Lord, as I try to help."

No comments:

Post a Comment