Sunday, August 10, 2014

Enough That He Knows

Blessed Mother Grotto that Fr. Tomasek built before leaving home for the Jesuit Novitiate.
October 7, 1978
Feast of the Holy Rosary
Govindpur, Bihar

"Went to the Carmel Convent to say Mass and after that to Govindpur where we were treated to much love, good conversation, whiskey and a delicious barbequed chicken....

"Reminded of my recent meditation on Jesus leaving Mary in Nazareth, in which loving contemplation much sustained by being carried along by the background music of the Hail Mary I wrote...
I saw Jesus and Mary having their last breakfast, very human and detailed. Seeing Mary through Jesus' eyes (the beloved spouse, the true and faithful mother) and Jesus through Mary's eyes (God's Abraham leaving for a new land...her own beloved Son whom she had given, and ever gives, to the Father and to us). Mary wasn't clinging to Him as her own. Hers is a virginal love, universalized to God's whole people: "My mother and my brothers are they who hear the Word of God and keep it." This is her truest beauty and motherhood.

" After writing that song, I feel the old intimacy that I felt with Mary when I built her that grotto in our yard when I was in high school. And through the years, the intimacy of belonging to the family of Mary my Mother and Jesus my Brother and dearest friend and SaviorGod. I felt that 'This is the way it should be.'

..."I often feel it's best not to use words or concepts too much. Just be with Him and Mary in mutual love and understanding that doesn't require articulation or trying to grasp a self-evaluative consciousness while in the act of prayer. It is a union with my Friend that is too hidden and personal to trivialize in words. Enough that He knows. The best mode of consciousness seems to be that of symbols, like the exchange of hearts earlier today.

"Love manifests itself in deeds recurred to me in prayer. That is, the mode of our love must imitate the mode of His (Spiritual Ex: #98, #147, #167, #109). Incarnational identification, self-sacrificing service in truth, in obedience to the Father's will and in imitation of the Lord's creating, compassionate service and love to each person."

No comments:

Post a Comment