Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Prayer Before Confession

May 30, 1989
Petersham, MA

"I want , Lord, to consider my sinfulness. Please help me...
Bishop Sheen writes that a priest's life isn't judged by its duration but by its donation.

"Lord, I have such a hard time seeing sins that I have willed or areas of omission in my life. It seems I have my ego's throne well defended here with excuses, memory lapses, blindness, rationalizations. I am aware of my creaturely and fallen misery; my general sinfulness. But I need your help in finding out what you hold against me as in Rev  2:4.

"My mind feels lazy and unable to engage the gears of recollection ..But I know that this knowledge is important both for my reformation and guardedness as well as for my gratitude...
Do I sin by often looking at what I still lack instead of acknowleging all your blessings and gifts? Since this practice drains me of energy and joy, it makes it harder to affirm others, praise you, rise from my routine and torpor and act creatively and imaginatively in your service.

"Please give me wisdom to see how the world, the flesh and the devil entrap me! As I fast today and my body feels weak and frustrated , so I open my soul to you, God, in naked petition and desire. I believe that, even today, you are preparing a banquet before me in the sight of my foes, for me a sinner who doesn't deserve it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment